Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Jobs for the Girl

I've officially been out of work for over six months now. Where does the time go??!! Whoosh there it went. As mentioned I had a dull, dull role in the marketing department of a large organisation in Manchester. I'm guessing that I wasn't very good at marketing as I'm now longer employed!! It's a kind of strange place to be in people I meet assume I must be on maternity leave, and sometimes when people ask for my occupation such as when my insurance claim was made, or even when I registered Baby Pumpkin's birth I feel embarrassed to say that I don't work.

Much has been debated about women's role in society and I know women fought hard for the recognition in the workplace and I do feel bad that I'm somehow letting down those who wanted women to be more than just homemakers. Also my parents contributed to my university education as you don't need a degree to do the ironing, so I feel that I'm also letting them down too. The thing is at the moment I can't ever see me wanting a job!! I'm not at all wildy ambitious, office politics just bores the pants off me and I'm not steely or determined enough to climb that greasy pole and smash that glass ceiling. How about that for cliche ahoy!!

Many of my baby friends are returning to work soon, so perhaps that will make me feel different when my peer group aren't available to meet. A number of them say they have to return to work due to financial commitments, and I'm lucky that my payout has let me defer a straight return to work (Especially as I don't have a job to return to!!) A big factor also, is that a lot of the girls have a very strong and close support network of family on hand to cover childcare duties. Looking into work options, once Baby Pumpkin is in full time nursery at a cost of £160 per week, there isn't much left from a monthly pay cheque particularly once petrol and carparking costs are factored in. So that is my feeble justification for not getting back to the rat race!!

So this got me thinking about jobs I could do to suit my new circumstances and I came up with the following:
  • Postperson - Delivering the post whilst pushing Baby Pumpkin in her pram - no good when I get puncutres though.
  • Ironing - Doing busy people's ironing whilst watching Baby Pumpkin and daytime TV in the comfort of my own home, downside I HATE ironing and not very good at it I have more creases when I finish!
  • Midwife - Delivering baby Pumpkin was the proudest moment of my life and sharing that with others must be very rewarding. Only I go faint at the sight of blood and can't stand needles, plus would be distraught for the families who face bad news. I'm too emotional
  • Car washer - Weirdly I love washing cars, especially with my superdooper Karacher Power Washer, I was v. disappointed when pregnant I couldn't reach to clean my car. If people bring their car to me I will wash it and then they can drive away all shiny. However, that would mean people hanging around my house waiting, don't think I'd like the idea of that, would have to tidy up all the time.
  • Cleaner - I LOVE looking in people's homes so what better way than to clean them at the same time, with Baby Pumpkin in her carrier on my front I can clean away and keep her entertained. Hmmm, but with my clumsiness I would probably break something expensive and Pumpkin would bound to cry all day meaning I wouldn't actually get much done.
  • Baby Massage Teacher - Baby Pumpkin and I attend a weekly session where the teacher is a wonderfully calm and sweet lady. She demonstrates the techniques on a doll whereas I could demonstrate on Pumpkin!! Who would probably cry all the time and make me look like a rubbish massage teacher. Plus the session I attend is free so I wouldn't make any money!

So after reviewing my options, it would appear that my job options are sticking to what I do best and that would be... Nothing! My shameful but wonderful life will continue for the time being!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home