Thursday, February 08, 2007

Let's Get Physical

Since the beginning of January I’ve been seeing a personal trainer. He’s been looking after the fitness of a friend and me every Wednesday evening at the gym near work.

He’s a really nice guy, very young, but fit and knows all his fitness stuff. The main plan is to:
· Improve fitness for netball/skiing
· Tone all wobbly bits
· Be healthy
· Look good
· Be happy

In order to do this I’ve been quite strict and cut out all snacks, chocolate and alcohol. I’m also trying to be good at eating my breakfast, bowl of Special K every day. I’m not good at mornings and food feels wrong until midday!! However, about 120,000 more qualified people than me have told me that breakfast is the most important meal of the day.

So far fitness plan is going ok, the good thing about working out with Caroline and James is that it really makes you train even if you aren’t feeling up for it, as you can’t back out when others are going. I hadn’t missed a week up to now, so when James advised that he wouldn’t be able to train us as he was going watching the England game at Old Trafford I was dumfounded. WHAT! How dare the personal trainer call off the session!!?? Surely that’s the client’s job??? James made a plan for Caroline and I to follow and said that he would have spies out to ensure that we followed his instructions.

Caroline and I made it to the gym and felt a bit nervous at our flying solo. Negotiated the bike and then the cross-trainer for warm-up of our muscles and heart rate, which James said should be at 140 in order to burn fat. Mine was at 150 according to the machine, was slightly worried that I was going to have a heart attack in the middle of the gym.

Went to the activity studio to do the toning exercises on the giant swiss balls, I used to have one at home for exercising on, but when I started watching TV with my feet resting on it I knew that it was time for it to go. There was a man in the activity studio pumping up the swiss balls so they were rock hard and when I sat on one of them, my feet almost didn’t reach the floor. We put some music on from Caroline’s walkman and the guy in the studio started making rude faces, it was girly pop and obviously wasn’t to his taste, but there has to be something to keep you going through tricep dips, lunges and crunches doesn’t there??

Going back to the gym to finish with a warm down we walked past a gorgeous guy who was skipping in the corridor, he looked at first glance like Ricardo Vaz Te, only gym boy was a bit bulkier. He had ankle weights strapped to his legs and was skipping with amazing speed and grace. Caroline and I have thought about running in Bronx style and skipping with him, but in my clumsy sweaty state thought better of it, I’d have wiped him out, and if he really was Vaz Te I would have been in trouble…. Well he wouldn’t be able to sit on the bench for a while.

Finished off with some running and then a cool down on the exercise bike. Forgotten the thingy to put my ipod in whilst I was training so hung the strap off the handlebars and kept forgetting where I was and singing out loud. Moved onto the stretches, but couldn’t remember them all so just pulled at my legs and arms in various ways until it hurt in the hope that I was actually doing some good.

Felt good and virtuous until on the way home my car wouldn’t unlock and I nearly died from shock when the alarm went off whilst I was sat inside. Then got home to find the univited houseguest on my sofa watching Coronation Street. I hate Coronation Street. My good mood had vanished!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home