Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Fancy Seeing You Here

So decided to make an effort with my impulsively bought new bicycle and decided on Sunday to go for a ride up Winter Hill to the TV Transmitter. It’s a bit of a pig on the way up but it’s a grand ride home, as I think they say. Sunday was a beautiful day, chilly, but with a brilliant blue sky and not a patch of fog that had swamped Bolton the day before. Wrapped up warm with my new invention of wearing tights under my cycle shorts to keep my legs snug – I look a wally but then it’s not a fashion parade!!! The road up the to Bob Smithy is a killer I swear it’s steeper than Everest and it was a struggle even on my sparkly new bike. This shows how much work I’ve got to do on my fitness before skiing!! Made it past the pub without stopping – impressive, and set off on the footpath up Winter Hill. It was blooming boggy and muddy, hadn’t been up since I think September and there has been a lot of rain since then!!!

Passed a massive group of ramblers laid out on the grass in a long line, looking like they were waiting for a bus. Hmmm, wonder if there is a bus that would make life easier!! They were all wearing comfortable boots and red socks I wonder if that is the unofficial uniform. Saw lots of mad amateur ramblers who’d set off in trainers and a t-shirt!!! Millions of dog owners around too, but I’m always paranoid that I’ll run the dog over!!! Decided to skip going right to the transmitter and made it to the little brick tower and had rest and a banana and a kit kat for the energy you see. Set off back down the hill. It always amazes me, a good 45 minutes plus up the hill and 10 minutes down, if only everywhere was down hill!!

Stopped at the Bob Smithy, as it would have been rude not to and got a pint of my new tipple, diet coke with a splash of blackcurrant (!) yes I know but it’s nice, and I’m still off the booze – especially with a bike to be responsible for. Couldn’t find anywhere to sit outside and then a group of cyclists already seated said to join them. Came and plonked down alongside them and had a really good chat. They were a nice friendly bunch, really into the mountain biking they wear cleats and tried to persuade me that I would be better off with them…. Obviously not seen how clumsy I am!!!!! The lad and the girl sat there, had also been snowboarding recently so we shared experiences of different resorts. The girl was lovely and later asked if I’d be interested in cycling again as she doesn’t know many girl cyclists. I don’t think they were too impressed with my tales of tackling Lostock canal path so I think that they might be a bit too hardcore for me. But now I have my new bike it could be time to find my adventurous spirit. The lad and the girl explained a new way home from the Bob Smith and said to follow them. We all got on our bikes, said good bye to their friend from Eagley and bombed it down the hill away from the pub. They took us through a back route past some beautiful big cottages in a very pretty courtyard all with Jaguars and fancy Mercedes parked outside, talk about how the other half live!! We then zoomed down a little track before slamming to a halt to climb over a fallen tree. I’ve never felt soooo out of control on my bike trying to keep up with them as the light was fading making shadows out of everything.

Popped out by Beaumont Hospital on Chorley New Road and then went through the big housing estate to Lostock train station where we split ways. I took the girl’s telephone number, and she took mine. If we don’t meet for a bike ride she said she’d give me a buzz to meet for coffee one lunch, as she works in Manchester too.

It’s kind of funny making a new friend in these circumstances. You kind of acquire them through growing up/school/college. Feels a bit strange to ring someone up and say, “Hi, I’m the girl from the Bob Smithy, new bike but not much idea!!” Would she still even remember me?? And who should ring first??

Ooh friends were so much easier at primary school!!!



It's a steeper hill in real life, honestly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home