Monday, November 20, 2006

Getting out of the house

Sunday was a gorgeous day for getting out and about, and so I decided to brave a bike ride.

The only problem being that I'm not very well geared up for the colder months as I only possess cycling shorts and t-shirts... But I'm made of stern stuff. My Eastern European heritage would mean I could face colder temperatures, but just to make sure, I put my waterproof jacket on to try and keep some of my heat in.

Set off out the house and headed down Deane Road to pick up the new cycle path along the canal. Rode past a bunch of kids who were lay on the road... It's that kind of area - you don't ask questions. One of the kids jumped up and aimed with a plastic gun, shouting "Stop Give Me Your Bike". Not likely!!!! So I pedalled harder and left them shouting obscenities in my wake!

Going along the canal path was much better, the council have recently laid a route from Bolton to Horwich, about 4 miles and it was supposed to have been finished by Summer. However, when I went along at the begining of September, it was still being completed. I wasn't too sure how far they would have got along... But sure enough the path was there right up to the Lostock Arms car park - handy for future reference!

The track then takes you over the bridge at the train station and towards Chorley New Road, before heading for the footpath through the Municipal Golf Course. You have to duck to make sure there aren't any stray balls flying your way. Zoomed all along there and finally popped out on a housing estate right near the Reebok Stadium... Possibly a chance to ride to the next home game???

Coming back I decided against the nice gentle cycle paths and headed up past the Barnstormers towards the A6. Yes, I know I've had better ideas!!! Got overtaken on the main road by some older guy... who was on a racing bike... Not my 10 ton piece of mountain junk!

Negotiated the motorway roundabout safely and back to Deane Road and home. Roughly 10 miles. My legs were freezing, but was glad I didn't sacrifice the comfort of padded cycling shorts for the warmth of traccie pants. My saddle is as comfortable as a bread knife at times!!!

Was lovely as well to see loads of people out and about enjoying the weather and taking a stroll along the paths. Well done the council... Glad to see somethings are working!!!

Note to self: Warm trousers next time!

2 Comments:

At 1:08 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Almost made it to Princess road this time, Pixie.

 
At 3:07 PM, Blogger stormtrooper said...

If you cycle to the Reebok, you will have done more exercise that Pascal Cygan ever did in 4 games at the Reebok.
Anyway will it turn out that next week you had stolen the bike and the kid was trying to get it back? I mean you hang with the socially ir-responsible crowd, no taxes and all that. Whats to say you aren't the child mugging - bike-knicking scally of the north?

PS: is this route along the canal safer thana train to horwich? I'd like to get to the reebok and back on the train next saturday if possible, but fear pixie will be there with her mates threatening chop me to bits especially as we are going to win this season.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home