Wednesday, October 25, 2006

When Two Tribes....

A strange and mad experience on the way home yesterday. I was on my way to pick up my friend on the way to the pub (hooray!) The road she lives on is quite narrow, and when cars are parked on both sides there is only room for one car to go up or down. As I drove the Bug up the road there was a BMW stopped in the road blocking a white van coming down the road. I figured that the BMW driver had just popped into their house to grab something, so I waited.

I called my friend to let her know I was almost at her house and that I was waiting behind the empty BMW. When my friend advised that there was someone in the car, and that they had been sat facing the White Van for over 5 minutes already.

Desperate times called for desperate measures I honked my horn. Crossly. I’ve got places to go! I’m off to the pub once I’ve picked up my pal. Only Bug’s haven’t been developed with horns that sound cross. I guess it’s a hangover from the hippy days. A rather camp “Oooooh” came out, like having Graham Norton under the bonnet.

I got out the car to find a 90-year-old granddad in the BMW, he’s tiny and I was surprised that he could see over the wheel!! “I’ve given way to 3 cars” he whistled through his dentures, “I’m not letting another one through!” White Van man said something that I can’t repeat here, but basically said he wasn’t prepared to move either. It’s a standoff. I’ve got the strains of Frankie goes to Hollywood running through my mind.

Granddad has probably fought in wars, he knows his rights and he’s turned his engine off and he’s refusing to move. I tried to reason with him, come on, we know you’re right you be the bigger man here, it’s not your fault other people have no manners, in this life sometimes you have to give an inch here and there. It’s no use; he’s not having any of it. I’m worried now that he’s prepared to stay and die of old age behind his wheel of the BMW. What a way to end it??

In the end I’m bored of both of them, and their silly man bravado. If this was happening to girls we probably would have given in now and be asking where we’d bought the sparkly tax disc holder. Maybe.

Anyways, my friend arrives from her house, and tells me we can cut through another way and leave the nobends to it. We back up and take a side road.

I bet they are still there now.

Meanwhile, we were down the pub :-D

2 Comments:

At 3:36 PM, Blogger stormtrooper said...

It could only happen in Bolton. I say we stop buying poppies in response to the war veteran. Which leads to the question Pixie, how was the old man in a BMW? Have we reached a point where we are buying so many poppies that they've started buying beamers?
Outrage, I tell you, an outrage.
I can already see Pixie doing an old man impression for all comers in the pub.

Anyway Pixie wants a nice posh sit down meal for Christmas. I guess that doesn't happen in Bolton, especially the trotting hoi polloi I suppose. Its best we give her the chance, get her spirts up for christmas.
On another note Pixie, I've got tickets for the derby, no no not Bolton vs Blackburn, its the classic Arsenal v Shite Hart laners.
Your second favourite gooner gave me his seat. Hope it is at the stadium and not a pass for the local pub.

 
At 3:39 PM, Blogger stormtrooper said...

PS: Note the lack of any witty remarks, I've been told I am stealing Pixie's thunder so I have to appear as interesting as Big Sam in a post-match interview. I don't think I can manage those depths.I will try though, lets call a development oppurtunity, the first step to managing a samll football club. I do have one qualification, I am open to any sorts of brown envelopes.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home